Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Verden/Bremen

This past weekend was very relaxing, but a lot of fun at the same time. I've been so used to traveling all weekend long, every weekend, that it was nice to sleep in this past Friday and Saturday. My friends and I did take a trip to Bremen and Verden on Saturday, however. 

We were invited to a birthday party in Verden, but the party wasn't until the evening so we had about seven hours to kill in Bremen. My favorite thing about Bremen was seeing a windmill. I hadn't seen one before, and I thought it was really pretty. There were white, yellow, and purple flowers surrounding it. Another thing I really liked about Bremen was the Altstadt. There were a bunch of buildings with intricate architecture, and shops and cafes. There were also a lot of food stands making fresh juice. We easily spent 4 hours in that part of Bremen. My friends and I wanted to do more shopping, so we took a tram to this massive shopping mall. Primark is a popular store here in Germany, and this mall's Primark was the biggest one I had seen yet. Everything is so cheap too, but we didn't stay long, because the mall was so packed it was hard to walk around. 

By the time we were done at the mall it was time to head back to the Bremen Hauptbahnhof to get to Verden. Verden is a small, rural town, but it was really cute as well. Kelsey's friend, Florian, picked us up from the station, because we were going to stay the night at his house. Florian was really nice, and so were all his friends. Florian is the one that invited us to the birthday party, which was for his friend Jan. I was excited about going to the party, because I'd never been to a German birthday party before. 

Turns out they are pretty much the same as American birthday parties, except a lot bigger. There were easily 200 people at this party. There was also a DJ, and a ton of food. The thing I like the most about German parties is the dancing. Everyone dances, and not the bump and grind kind of dancing you see at Wayside. It's actually fun, and people didn't stop dancing til morning. We woke up the next morning exhausted, but Florian prepared a huge breakfast for us, which was really thoughtful. German breakfasts are different from American breakfasts. A typical German breakfast normally contains bread, deli meat, cheeses, cereal, fruit, and soft boiled eggs. It was really good, and I'll be sad when I go back home, where it's not normal to have a sandwich for breakfast. 

Now that the weekend is over, I've been focusing on class. We have our final exam for our third course tomorrow, so I've been studying for that. After that, Susan and I will be heading to Belgium, because we have a five day Easter break that we will be spending with my Aunt Hilde. We will be going to Brussels, Antwerp, and Bruges. I'm really excited to travel, but mostly to see my aunt. She has been putting a lot of effort into the trip, making sure that Susan and I will have a good time, and I'm extremely grateful, and in less than a day, I'll be able to see her. (:

Here are some photos of the trip to Bremen. Enjoy and Tschüss (:





The breakfast Florian prepared for us.