Monday, February 2, 2015

A Saturday in Hamburg

Hello Everyone! I ventured to Hamburg this past weekend, and finally got my laptop fixed at the Apple Store. No more texting posts, and I can finally upload some pictures. (:

While in Hamburg, Susan and I witnessed something super interesting. We were walking around the Rathaus, and noticed a huge mass of people, and the Polizei lined up along the streets. Turns out we walked right in the middle of a demonstration without realizing it. Since my German isn't spectacular yet, I wasn't sure what the demonstration was for exactly. People were holding signs that said "Fight Racism" and "Refugees Welcome" so I figured it had to do with the African refugees coming to Germany for a better and more secure life. I eventually got handed a flyer (written in English) and found my assumptions were correct. The demonstration was supporting the Lampedusa Group in Hamburg coming from Africa in search of better living conditions. It was super interesting to watch the demonstration take place. There were easily 5,000 people in the vicinity marching. Below are a couple photos that I took of the demonstration.




Susan and I also moved into our new apartment. We are very grateful, because we finally have a kitchen and our own rooms. We are also extremely close to the city center, and campus. We share an apartment with two other german students, Mereika and Cedric. They are super nice, and I'm glad we got placed to live with them. They have really helped us out since moving in, and they try to speak German with us all the time. It is still kind of hard forming complex sentences, but I'm sure it will get easier. Below is a picture of last week when Susan and I visited the Wasserturm. We will also be heading to Berlin this weekend, so I will be sure to write and post a lot of pictures after. Tschüss (: